With social media making headlines every day, it is becoming more and more difficult to ignore the weight that these social sites can hold. The days of traditional marketing have passed and it is no longer enough to make billboards, leaflets, and magazine ads. Social Media Marketing has become a necessity in today’s marketing game and Twitter is a huge contender. Below you will find six simple ways to get the most out of your business’ Twitter account.
- Use a consistent handle, account name, and profile picture. You want to make it as easy as possible for fans to find you. By picking a Twitter handle that is consistent with your account name, you are allowing people to recognize and spot you efficiently. This is important when your campaign rests on how many people follow and interact with your page. The same is true for your profile photo. Stick with a logo your fans know and trust. By staying true to your brand’s image, any uncertainty that this account may not be the real you can be solved immediately.
- Create an engaging and accurate bio. A lot of times the first thing people look at on a page is the ‘About Me’ section. This is your chance to portray who your company is and what your company does in any way you choose. Ideally, you want to use this opportunity to capture your fans’ attention and show them why you really rock. Be accurate about what you do, however, because there is no better way to lose followers than to over-embellish and have the truth leak out.
- Post regularly. Now that you have started this social media journey – stick with it. You want to be active in your followers’ news feeds and you want to show them that you really care about the issues surrounding your field of business and about connecting with them on a personal level. Twitter is unique in that it is a live news feed, so it can be easy to get lost in the crowd. No one will be able to see the man behind the curtain without posting regularly on his behalf.
- Content is king. In addition to posting regularly, you also want to make sure that what you are posting sticks. It isn’t enough to post what you had for breakfast anymore to prove you were online. You need to create content that attracts your readers and fulfills their needs of knowledge, entertainment, and personal connection. A great way to do this is to make sure you always link to a full URL when posting about articles you find to be interesting, and to only post content that you would want to re-tweet yourself.
- Use consistent and user-friendly keywords. The key to any social media marketing campaign is to make it easily found by anyone. Twitter has the advantage of hashtags, which users use regularly to search subjects. In order to increase your Search Engine Optimization (SEO), think about what a user might be searching for and make those your primary keyword and hashtag categories. By having a few categories of keywords and hashtags that are search friendly and consistent with your business, you make it easier for people to find you, follow you, and explore all you have to offer.
- Listen and engage with your followers. Last but not least, be present. The whole idea of social media marketing is for followers to be able to connect with you as a person as opposed to a business. Many times, companies fall into the pitfall of posting great content regularly, but failing to interact when followers reach out. Twitter makes it easier than ever to respond to tweets, re-tweet, and to favorite the best snippets and you need to be around to thank and reciprocate this attention. No one likes someone who only thinks of himself, so make sure that you take the time to reach out and communicate with those who’ve invested their time in you.
And there you have it; a step-by-step guide on creating a Twitter no one can ignore. Good luck in creating not only a great Twitter account, but a great social media marketing campaign as well!